What have I done this week? A lot of nothing.
Monday, I got a bunch of the girls together-- Marti, Rita, Christina (who might spell her name Kristina, but I'm not sure), Marisa, Becca, Carrie, and even Rachel my roommate showed up eventually-- for fajitas and Oscar night, which was a good time, though it went pretty long! I liked Jennifer Lopez's dress the best. And that's all I have to say about that.
Tuesday, I don't know what I did all day. Maybe laundry? It's possible. I know that Tuesday night we went to 5 dollar dinner night across the street and stayed for trivia night, which was fun. It had an Oscar theme, which served us well, because we at least knew some things about that... it started as a team of four of us-- Jason, Rita, Marti and I as Jason and the Rockettes-- but eventually Marisa and Ch/Kristina showed up. They all ended up heading on to bars #2 and #3, but I ducked out early. I got to write some emails before getting a good nights sleep...which was good enough for me!
Wednesday we attempted to go to the beach. Well, that's a silly way to say it. Rita, Marisa, Ch/Kristina, Jason, Marti, and I went to Bondi Beach. Basically, the minute we got there...it started getting overcast. I got in the water, ignoring the distant rumbling, but then I turned around to face the city right as a bolt stuck. So, my hair was already wet, and I had to get out. We lingered a little while avoiding the inevitable...and then went to get smoothies, hoping it would blow over. It didn't. We headed back to Unilodge, had separate dinners, and then watched Pirates of the Caribbean 1 that night.
Thursday night I didn't have to make dinner because there was a free barbecue on the roof. Yay! We met a few people up there-- Christian from Germany, who seems very nice but smiles too much (is that a fair criticism? it seems like maybe not) and Elise, who's from Canberra which is the capitol of Australia. She's a first year who took a year between 12th year and uni (to use the Aussie lingo). She's a nice girl; hopefully we'll see her around again. She came out with us that night-- we went to see Emily, my friend from Wellesley, who's house was having a party on the roof. There was a little blow up pool full of water and everything! Marti, Elise, and I skipped out before the others, but it seemed like people had fun, which is good, and Marisa and Rita liked Emily a lot. Also good.
Friday, I was, well, not in a good mood. My feelings got hurt, blah blah blah, and I was trying to be a big girl about it. So, I made ravioli. Lots of ravioli. With Red and Green Pepper (they call it capsicum here) and Goat Cheese filling. Grocery shopping took an hour, then cooking took from 4:00 pm to 10:30. Yeah. Lots of ravioli. I watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding during the final step-- layering the pasta with filling between, sealing, and cutting the squares-- and then the end of Love Actually, where I almost managed not to tear up. I mean, have you seen the end of Love Actually? With all these real scenes of people at the airport?
Saturday, I woke up in much better spirits. I checked my email, talked to Molly for a minute, and then Rita IMed me to say they were leaving in 10 minutes for the beach, if I wanted to go. And I managed to do it! Getting ready in 10 minutes isn't exactly ideal, but hey. It's the beach. Who's complaining. I brought along a book for some light beach reading: Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own. I'm not through it yet-- I'm only in chapter 2-- but I'm enjoying it. Smart woman, Virginia Woolf. Saturday night, Carrie and I walked over to Oxford Street (not the one in London) to meet Rita, Marisa, and Marti at the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras parade. There were SO MANY people there! It was nearly impossible for me to see, which I appreciated almost as much as if I had been able to watch it all: it showed how supportive Sydney is of its gay and lesbian population. There were all sorts of people who marched: male, female, christian, jewish, young, old. Happy. I ended up staying in while Rita and Marisa went out...again...noticing a trend?
Sunday: My last day of winter break. My last class was December 14. I mailed in my final papers on January 4 or 5. I AM SO READY TO GO TO CLASS IN THE MORNING. I know I'm going to have work hanging over my head for the next 4 months, but at least it's something to do! It's been storming for the past few hours but it looks like it's passing now. Time to go to sleep!
Sunday, March 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment