In my defense, May was a very busy month, as far as school work went. But…you’d think I would have managed something!
That next Friday, May 11, was Emmy’s 18th and also my friend Matt’s 21st, so we went out for Italian and then were supposed to go out to the clubs, but Marti and I slipped out of it and hung out with Amanda instead. Then, I spent the rest of that weekend working on my religion paper due Monday on the topic “How is Aboriginal Art Religious?” which was interesting, at least! Thursday I had to give a presentation on Theravada Buddhism for my religion tutorial, so I talked about Thai forest monks—forest, here, actually meaning “jungle full of tigers, elephants, and incredibly big snakes.” It was sensational to read, and people were amused which was good enough for me. The following Monday I had a presentation in my Aussie Lit tutorial on A D Hope’s “Imperial Adam,” which meant I put a lot of my Wellesley-training to good use, seeing as it’s one of the most misogynistic poems I’ve ever read.
Before that presentation—May 18-20, in case you’re trying to keep track—I went to visit Chloe, another camp friend from last summer in
When I woke up in the morning, her parents had gotten me some Crows socks from a sports store, which was heaps exciting! (Aussie for Really Really Really exciting) After brekkie, Chloe, her mom, and I drove up to a mountain point where you could see all of Adelaide spread below and then we met her aunt and cousin at the Cleland Wildlife Park, where we saw rainbow lorikeets and bats and snakes and tassies (Tasmanian devils) and dingos and emu and a wombat and strange little rodents…and bigger rodents, too, like wallabies and kangaroos! We fed those, which was fantastically fun! I saw—and even pet—my first koala, but it turns out I like kangaroos and wallabies more, because they have noticeably distinct personalities, whereas the koalas all seemed sleepy and nervous. It was a really great time all around. That evening was Chloe’s going away dinner—she’s back at camp now, first session starts tomorrow!—so I met some of her friends and other family. After the yummy thai, we headed to a pub. It was fun to see who Chloe hangs out with/grew up around, because it explained a lot about who she is.
Sunday we made vegan cho-chos (a camp favorite, vegan so that her sister could have some) and then watched Mona Lisa Smile, which I hadn’t seen since before I went to Wellesley, and made me a little Wellesley-sick, on top of being a bit camp-sick and home-sick, which didn’t seem very fair! I flew home late that afternoon and started downloading the season finale of Grey’s Anatomy so that I could watch it before going to sleep…hey, I have all my priorities in line!
In June news, winter is here. It’s cold, grey, and rainy! Ok, so cold here means highs of 56* to
60*, but that’s a big change! It’s the southern hemisphere’s equivalent of December, though, so I can’t complain. I mean, I rarely even have to wear a jacket. The sun sets before
Classes ended yesterday! Now I just have 3 academic things left: my visual diary for ceramics, my philosophy exam (4 500 word essays in 2 hours), and my religion exam (50 multiple choice questions in 1 hour… 10 or so people fail every year! Oooh buddy). They’re all pretty well spread out, so it should be fine!
Last night was the
Assuming the rain keeps up, which weather.com says will be the case, it’s going to be another chill weekend, just my style! I’ll do some studying, some chilling, and a whole lot of not getting soaked by the rain!

1 comment:
:)
teddy and I say hi.
Post a Comment