It has been a week since I've written, and I feel very guilty about that. I know I promised that nothing interesting was going on in my life, but now I've waited so long that that's a lie!
Geneva, in short, was a blast. We arrived Wednesday night and made dinner (pasta, yum!). We walked into what might be the big shopping center area, though I'm not sure it was ever called that, to get dessert-- I went with chocolate gelato, which was very very yummy. The cone was the best I've ever had in my life-- it beat out the juice bar on nantucket! It was really light and sugary, but not in a sweet way, just delicate. Like eating a hard snowflake would be. The next morning we were slow to start, as usual, so by the time we'd all showered and cleaned up the room (we were nesting on Sarah's floor which was not comfortable in the slightest but very appreciated nonetheless!), it was time to go to the grocery store-- a french speaking grocery store-- to get dinner making items, it being Sarah's 21st birthday and all. We decided to make stuffed shells (but they didn't have shells, so we stuffed cylindrical pasta instead), garlic bread, and salad. Definitely yum. We also made a lemon cake with chocolate shell-like frosting and little marzipan fruit on top! Good times. Friday we walked around Geneva and actually saw things. I enjoyed it, especially the french, because I knew bits of it but it also meant I was totally devoid of responsibility. The weather was really nice, which helped-- sunny and crisp, which made everything look really pure and clean. Lake Geneva was beautiful; we saw an old man and his wife feeding swans, as well as a business man in a suit. It looked like they probably did it every day. Friday afternoon we went to meet sarah and discovered a chestnut roaster and his wife so neon and I munched on some (caroline, devin, and sarah didn't really like them). That night we had incredible fondue with water, oh the horror. Evidently, it's a big no-no to do that because the cheese will form a ball in your stomach if you don't drink wine and give you a terrible stomach ache. If anyone has scientific proof for that, please share. Devin, Caroline, Neon, and I all thought Sarah was ridiculous for believing and sharing this with us all. The other girls attempted to go clubbing that night (but ended up not getting in), while I decided to stay back with Sarah's friends and watch episodes of America's Next Top Model. Very chic, I know.
Meeting her friends was interesting because it's really different from what I've been doing in London. There's a group of 20-23 americans living in this long-term hotel thing. At first, they ALL took classes with each other all day every day. They lived together. They ate meals together. They hung out together. Well, they still do all that, now they just see other people when they go to their internships monday-thursday. They all know each other really well and it was interesting to see their dynamics.
OK. So that catches up Geneva. Saturday, we flew home, and I started working hard again. Last week was the week of working hard and not sleeping enough. Hence it being uninteresting. This week though...
Alexa and Molly are here! They arrived Saturday and then promptly left for Paris Saturday afternoon with Jenn. Now they're back again, and so far we've been into Westminster Abbey and Westminster Cathedral and looked at Buckingham palace! I'd been saving the Westminsters and I'm glad I did-- they were a real treat. I loved seeing Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots's tombs, as well as Sir Isaac Newton's. It's funny that it's old english tombs that make me wish I'd been a better Latin student. Westminster Cathedral was stunning. Instead of stained glass, there were beautiful sparkling mosiacs on all the walls. There was a mass being held while we
were there, which was really lovely to listen to. The acoustics were breathtaking.
Tomorrow is going to be work, class, work, class, thanksgiving-food-prep, then fun-time. A little stressful because there's so much to cram into this week, but it should be a good time!
Monday, November 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment