Right now, it's 5 o'clock EST in Harlemville, NY-- though the address says Ghent-- and I'm sitting on a swing surrounded by so many beautiful things I can't even figure out what to take a picture of first. ((Note: I won't be on the swing for long, since it's child-sized and my hips are not. But it's so cure that I can't help it for a little bit!)) From here, I can see the chickens (70+), pigs (maybe 40? I can't remember), the cows (no guesses), 2 silos, lots of hay, two tetherball spots, and lots of fences of all different kinds. I can also see a bench, and I'm going to move there now. And just to keep you up to date on how many minutes I can sit in a too-small swing while writing in my journal: 6.
I've been here for about 2.5 hours at this point. I've met two people who I'll be working with: Tessa, who is in charge of me, and Joanna, who is a recent graduate as well. Both seem nice, but it's hard to tell more than that for now! Beth is the other intern this semester. She was here all summer, so she went home to visit and should be back by 8 tomorrow morning! There are some other people in charge, but I haven't met them yet. I'll let you know who's who once I figure it out!
It feels like there's too much to capture still! To start with, I'm not sure how well those fences I mentioned are working. There are at least a dozen chickens outside of their area, and one of the pigs does not seem to be with the others at all. There are also about a bagillion people wandering around who have something to do with the farm/waldorf school/market/chinese accupuncture, but nothing to do wih me, which will take some getting used to, I think. The cows must be my favorite part so far. They have the sweetest faces, and the ones I've seen all have names, like Nora and Clo and Saturn and Rain. I think I'll go take some pictures of them (oh! the rooster just said hello) and then I'm going to find a snack. Farm life is making me hungry already!
Pictures to follow. They take a little more work, what with the whole uploading thing.
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
ah, ok. I remember. Moo, baaa, la, la, la. But this is the reality version. Sounds like there will be work AND fun. Good luck at tetherball! Love, Dad
Post a Comment