
Yesterday was enrolment and registration day! Yay!! ;-) My student id photo is surprisingly decent, which was a pleasent, well, surprise. And I got out of my 17th century lit course on protestant vs catholic text because, honestly, I probably would have rather had a dozen root canals. It sounds that painful to me. I dropped it in favor of a random course in the School of Modern Languages that I found while waiting in a really long que... the course is called "Mortals, Immortals and Monsters: Reading and Writing Greek Myths." It's described as "an interactive course in which students and teacher will engage immaginatively and intellectually with a variety of texts relating to Classical mythology." It sounds pretty cool, but seems to have a creative writing element to it, which is definitely a bit intimidating! I'm excited for it, though. I'm also on the waiting list for another course (that's why I was standing in the que in the first place). It's called "Approaches to Fairy tales" and it involves discussing "major critical approaches to the fairy tale including psychoanalytical and feminist interpretations of meaning and of impact on readers and audience." I really want to get into that course. It basically sounds like my ideal course. I'm 2 or 3 people down on the waiting list-- I think I'll go to the first class and beg. I'm also considering a 19th century novel course, but only if the fairy tales one falls through, and it's basically impossible to get into english courses here so I'm lucky I started with 4 instead of 2 or 3 like some other people. Last night, I hung out with some people on campus... including a few british kids! It was about half and half, really, so that's not too bad! Progress, at least.
This afternoon Beth and I visited the Somerset House and saw some really great works of stuff! The was a lot of Degas and Manet and some Monet, Renoir, Kandinsky and Seurat... I was particuly impressed to see Van Gogh's Self Portrait with a Bandaged Ear. I remember learning about him doing that when I was in lower school and thinking that anyone who cut off their own ear had to be completely off their rocker. Of course, I remember my teacher saying he sent it to a girlfriend, while wikipedia claimed he wrapped it in newspaper and gave it to a prostitute named Rachel....
After seeing the galleries, we wandered around until we ended up just outside of the Leicester Square tube station, where we stopped for a late lunch of Steak and Ale pie. They were good! Definitely sleepy food. Tonight we're heading back into the city to Neon's flat where we'll have a late dinner with all of our London-Wellesley girls before heading to the Metro where it's indie rock night! It should be a good time!

No comments:
Post a Comment