Sunday, September 10, 2006

One week!


That's right, I've been here a whole entire week!! It was a lot of fun and I know a LOT more about London than I would have if I hadn't come over with the allen's. I've been to SO MANY tube stations it's not even funny... I swear I've spent more time on the tube in a week than on the T my whole two years in boston. I really don't even think I'm exaggerating.
Today was a much lazier day than our past ones have been-- we got a later start, not leaving the house until just after 11, and trying to go to Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese for lunch, which is a REALLY OLD pub. It burned down during the Great Fire of London...yeah, the one in 1666...and was then rebuilt. It was full, though, so we went across the street to a rather eh irish pub...but that's ok! You win some, you lose some.
After we finished lunch, we headed to Churchill's underground war rooms which was a little claustrophobic and scary if you got separated, especially with the bomb sirens going off, but generally pretty cool to see. It was a good reminder of people fighting for what they believe in and courage in the face of danger and all that sort of stuff. And he was just about the cheekiest man to ever walk this earth..."I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
Tomorrow I start my various orientations and may not be able to get to a computer at all during the next week. If that's the case, don't worry! I'm sure I'll have a good time and meet lots of people and take lots of pictures. When I get back, I'll write all about it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What are "pubs"? Diners where you can be served any kind of beer you can think of? Your curious mom